Have you ever faced adversity..? Of course, I know your answer, unquestionably “Yes”. Isn’t it my friend..? However, were you able to see it as a doorway to an opportunity or just struggled with it..?
All of us know it’s impossible to live without facing adversity. Even the smartest and most capable of us eventually deal with pain, bereavement, and adversity. Learning to respond to
Life’s challenges successfully with ease can enhance your abilities lead the life remarkably well.
As Einstein rightly remarked “Adversity introduces a man to himself”, you can turn any adversity into an opportunity by revealing your best version while facing it.
Remember that the most successful people have successfully dealt with tremendous adversity. As the saying goes “Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men”, you should know the strategies that make the road to success smoother and easier when adversity comes on your way.
Try these key strategies to turn the adversity into an opportunity in your life:
- Accept it as a part of life: There’s adversity everywhere, and there’s nowhere to hide. Sometimes bad things just happen. There’s no way to avoid them. Accepting the situation is the first step to finding a way through it. Tell yourself that you’ll get through it and the situation will get back to normal.
- Focus on solutions: 5The first thing you’re likely to do when faced with adversity is the worry. This is natural, but worrying never solved anything. Worry only lowers your ability to change the situation. When things aren’t going well, take it as a sign to get busy and think about what can you do right now to make a positive change? Focus on what you can do to enhance the situation.
- Be in the present: Avoid focusing on the worst possible outcome or beating yourself up about the current challenge. It’s possible you made a mistake or misjudged the situation, but the adversity is happening right now, so keep your attention focused on the present and deal with the adversity diligently. Being in the present helps you to be poised and composed.
- Set a goal: What outcome would you like to see and experience while dealing with adversity? Set a goal to make that desirable outcome happen as quickly as possible. Sometimes we rush to make things better without thinking about the optimal outcome.
- Relax: Stress and worry don’t contribute to a positive outcome. Learning to relax in stressful situations is a skill that takes time to develop. Relaxing will allow you to both feel more comfortable and perform at your best. Too much stress is unhealthy and counterproductive. Stay busy working your plan and breathe. It will be over before you know it.
- Ask for help: The world is full of people, and many of them would be happy to help. Avoid being too shy, proud, or embarrassed to ask for help. You’d be willing to help the people in your life, so give them the same opportunity. There’s no reason to struggle alone.
- Focus on improvement: Rather than consuming yourself with the thought of getting the adversity completely out of your life, focus on making regular progress in the right direction. You can be happy about your progress even if the situation hasn’t been completely resolved.
When faced with adversity, keep your focus on finding solutions. Having a goal and plan are key components of bringing your life back on course. Worry, stress, and fear will only lower your effectiveness and limit your ability to alter the situation. Everyone can learn to deal with adversity in a more skilful manner.
Remember that achieving bigger goals and enjoying a more fulfilling life requires the ability to deal with adversity effectively. As Mahatma Gandhi justly observed “Adversity is the mother of progress”, determine to confront adversity head-on. Your ability to deal with adversity will grow with experience.