Friends…! Do you know what you want from life…? Almost daily I put this question and try to get the clarity around. What about you…? I know you must have put this question to yourself many times to know what you really want. As the saying goes “In life, what you really want; will never come easy.” For example, one job has better hours and more interesting work, but the other opportunity offers a better salary. The best options may be less than obvious.
Unfortunately, failing to make the right decisions in a timely manner can have negative repercussions. With more time, you can develop more elegant solutions. When time is short, you’re limited to just a few options; none of them may be very good. If you wait too long to decide what you want, you lose flexibility and your options are greatly restricted. Make your decisions intelligently and quickly. Your life will be more rewarding and less stressful.
This blog helps you to figure out what you want when you get stuck and none of your options stands out
Keep these ideas in mind when you’re unsure of what you want:
- Know your values: As Disney rightly remarked: “It’s not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.” Hence, those who are well in-tune with their values have a much easier time in making decisions. Whereas, it’s much more challenging to make a choice when you’re unclear and lack a stable view of yourself and what’s important to you. So, it’s very significant to know what your values are and how do you want to make use of them in building your life.
- Have goals: As Earl Nightingale rightly said: “People with goals succeed because they know where they are going.” Therefore, keep your goals fresh in your mind. When you know exactly where you’re heading, most of the options can be eliminated quickly. The more your decisions are based around your goals, the more likely you are to accomplish them.
- Keep the long-term in mind: Many individuals are shortsighted. Prepare a foundation for the future. You may choose the easier option today with the intention of straightening things out down the road. However, it’s generally harder to change course once you’ve gained momentum.
- Examine your fear of failure: “Is your fear of failure greater than your desire to succeed?” It’s common to avoid actions that may result in failure. Ensure you’re not basing your decisions too much on the likelihood of success. Allow a little uncertainty in your life that helps to live your life fully.
- Gather the information you require: Wise decisions require good information. Most of us either fail to gather enough information or we’re forever stuck on this step. Knowing yourself and your goals can dramatically reduce the amount of time needed to navigate your information-gathering efforts.
- Choose: As “Life is the sum of all your Choices“, if you’re still stuck after applying all the other suggestions, just choose something that helps you to explore what you want. All the options are likely to produce a similar outcome. Pick one and begin taking action. Do remember that “failing to choose is choosing to fail.”
No progress can be made without a clear and committed decision. When you fail to decide what you want, you’re ultimately stuck with the simplest option available. If you don’t decide your life; somebody else will decide for you. So, do what all you can to avoid putting yourself in this situation? Be confident and make a decision now!