Do you like to be happy? Of course, Yes. But isn’t eluding to you for a long time? Of course, undoubtedly yes. What do you think is the success formulae? Well, it’s a journey of many virtues and life-long commitment to practice those to be happier.
I remind of the famous quote “Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it will elude you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.” So, let’s look at some virtues that you can practice to lead a fuller and more enjoyable life.
The table of virtues:
- Pursue ultimate ends: We do a lot of things on a day-day basis to get money, name or fame, etc. However, the journey towards happiness is the highest good because we value it for itself. Therefore, enjoy the journey rather the destination alone to be happy.
- Resist immediate gratification: Challenging activities are usually more rewarding than passive pleasures. It’s tempting to turn on the TV after a hard day at the office but talking to friends, spending time with family or working on hobbies will probably make us feel better.
- Face your fears: Have the courage to be true to yourself. Venturing beyond your comfort zone can bring great rewards.
- Practice moderation: Practice moderation everything that you do. Be it your favorite recipe or work-out or any activity that you would love most.
- Spend wisely: Liberality is expressed by using resources wisely. Put your time and money to good use. Prioritize your daily activities. Stick to your household budget.
- Appreciate quality: You will enjoy the good things in life when you appreciate qualities in you and others. Start appreciating and you will see the boomerang effect of happiness that comes to you.
- Believe in yourself: Believing in yourself keeps you with good spirits to enjoy life to the core and make your life worth living.
- Set goals: Direct your ambitions towards worthy causes having defined short term and long-term goals with action pan.
- Cultivate patience: Cultivate patience and perseverance as these two virtues play a big part in keeping you happy while you progress in your life.
- Be truthful: Being truthful keeps you closer to your heart and others as well. Acknowledge when you make an error. Let your loved ones know how you really feel even when it seems awkward. It may lead to constructive discussions and closer, happier relationships.
- Have a laugh: Look for the humor in situations in life like spending time with your friends and family sharing lighter moments to squeeze the happiness out of small things.
- Show modesty: Humility helps us to recognize our limits and get along with others. It’s easier to grow and learn new things when you understand that everyone can teach you something valuable.
Thus said, you can choose to live a happy life only when you put above-mentioned virtues into practice. Then, living up to your potential is a cake walk which would eventually bring you greater bliss and fulfillment.